Thursday, April 16, 2009

The English Language

I have found it amazing how common the English language is. It is spoken in different degrees (Hong Kong and parts of China seems to be the worst) but it is nevertheless used as the default language. My trip to Cambodia and Malaysia had some of the best non-native English speakers. In general, when two people do not know what language to use, English is always the common one. Even the European exchange students use English to talk to each other. Unless they are the same nationality, English is used. I find that interesting because often English is no one's first language.

The other interesting thing I have noticed with the English language is how often it is used by children. There is a spot on campus that I often walk through to get to class that families often take their children to play. Most of the time I see little kids running around, shouting at each other in English. Just listening you would not know that they are Chinese. They even use their English names. The oddest occurrence was just the other day while I was on my way to class. I say Chinese parents trying to teach their daughter how to ride a tricycle. The little girl was having trouble figuring out how to move the peddles to make the tricycle go. The father and mother were explaining to her how to move her feet in Chinese using hand gestures. However, the little girl only responded in English and asked questions about how to do it in English. I find it interesting but not surprising that the little kids I see have less of an accent then students my age. The rate of development and the rate of outside involvement (i.e. globalization) real shows up here through the use of the English language.

1 comment: